Friday

Hactions Speak Louder than Whords

Actions don’t really speak. Let’s just clear that up right now. Those little voices that you may claim to be hearing when you are all alone…those aren’t real. However, everything we do, or don’t do, or do do, communicates something about us (So if you are confused about the last “do do”, I just wanted to write doodoo in a sentence so you would either say it in your head or out loud…preferably out loud). I heard some statistic one time…I don’t remember the percentages but most of our communication is non-verbal. If you think about it, half-infinity people see you every day and never have a conversation with you. However, each of these people conjures up some kind of judgment about you. Part of their judgment most likely comes from the different behaviors we exhibit.


But we don’t really want to dwell on the people that don’t know us. Even the people that know us well communicate with us through non-verbal means. As Ursula reminds us in The Little Mermaid, “And don’t underestimate the importance of body language! Ha!”


Our actions can communicate our feelings very strongly and should correspond with our words. If you punch someone in the face that you hate…well…you might have anger issues…but at least you are getting the correct message across to them. If you smooch them, they might be a little confused when you later tell them that you utterly loathe them. Actions can be the facial expressions we use, the smooches we give, or even the things we don’t do. In a relationship, if Doug fails to tell Lisa that he likes her, Lisa may only be hearing, “He/She hates me.” A little dramatic? Yes. But it happens. I am sure you can think right now of 435 examples of a situation similar to this one.


So back to my main point of writing this whole bloggy post… Make sure our actions and our words coincide so that the message is clear. If relationships are started with honesty, I feel like it is easier to continue on the honest path to awesomeness…and when I say “awesomeness,” I mean success.


Honestly, this post took me forever. I started over a couple times, then when I was almost finished I accidently deleted it... So I had to tell my computer my true feelings. Have no fear...it was for the better. And now I have to go apologize to my computer.


Your Amigo,

Chris

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if this validates or condemns my communication habits in relationships, which I feel are appropriate for my biggest criterion of compatibility: I want someone who knows what I'm thinking and how I'm feeling without me having to tell her... a mind reader, of sorts. and, I shouldn't have to throw her any hints by treating her well, either. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. By my account, I'd say you are probably having a lot off success with how you are dating. Just watch out if you try dating a real shark. They don't play fish games very well.

    ReplyDelete