Sunday

Obsessions

This post is intended to be a change from the joviality of the previous posts. Although popular demand might not agree with this change, I want to prepare of audience for the emotional rollercoaster that we would like for you to experience along with us.


One of my fears for starting a blog was that I would initially become obsessed, writing long posts and including pictures of every event of my life. It would without a doubt be added to the list of 4 or so websites I feel a need to visit each time I enter the wide, wide world of webs (oh blessed facebook). However, the bigger fear I had was that the blog obsession would follow the pattern that most of my obsessions follow - the initial onslaught of effort put forth shortly followed by a period of neglecting, or possibly forgetting completely, the once beloved obsession. Obsessions that don’t fade away are a 9-letter word known as an addiction (the “9-letter word” part is not too significant, so don’t get stuck on that).

Obsessions, of course, take on many shapes and forms. The idea of blogging is just a good example to start with, for obvious reasons (if these reasons are not apparent, please consult the same physician as before). A prime example of obsessions is seen in the frozen yogurt industry, a.k.a. “froyo”, for the younger, hipper crowd. There are approximately half infinity frozen yogurt places in Provo, UT. Another obsession is seen with girls and their desire for diet coke (this one might be an addiction as opposed to an obsession) – “jab”. Another is boys and their sports (this one I will defend to the death – try me). TOMS shoes, Abercrombie & Fitch (an obsession for some people probably 10 years ago), World of Warcraft, anything from Anthropology, Words With Friends, shool, Michael Low, Angry Birds, The Bachelor, aspects of the dating life - I could keep this list going for days, and I will, but not here.

Everyone has his or her favorite obsession(s). I don’t believe there is a magical formula to decide whether a specific activity or thing is an obsession. However, I do know some signs of having an obsession – it consumes your life, you can’t live without it, you can’t go a full day without doing it, etc. (This excludes all things that you should do or have every day).


I have a neighbor. He says the following (roughly quoted), “I don’t have time. I am just so busy.” Come to find out he spends roughly 6 hours per day playing video games. It also doesn’t help that the poor boy has very poor social skills and little awareness of others, but that is a discussion for another time.


There are 2 words that helps me in life: priorities and balance…and smart choices…and smart buying…and practicality…and adventure, too….and some good leisure time. Well, I don’t really know completely where this is going, but it helps me to keep my life in check every once in a while. In the end, I have to ask myself…if Michael Low were here, would he do this?


Tu amigo,

Chris

1 comment:

  1. that cake looks like bacon... one of my hybrid addictions: bacon cake. that one cut me deep.

    ReplyDelete