Tuesday

First Impressions

Wrong. I'm not talking about throwing the first punch! Although if Alex threw that punch it might be your first and last impression...on you face. Like this:




Some of you are possibly using this picture to symbolise your last relationship, job, boxing match, or run-in with bad mexican food. All of these uses are appropriate.

However, for the purposes of this post we will be using the picture as comic relief and nothing more. It's interpretation is left to your volition. You're welcome.

Now I want to share with you a lesson I learned that left me quite impressed.

After a scuffle between two of my siblings, my brother told my Mom he was sorry. My Mom wisely replied, "Come back when sorry is accompanied with a plan."

(Yes, I'm quoting my own mother yet promising you this is not a Mommy blog.. feel free to use the picture above as a depiction of your feelings right now.)

When we are trying to be good friends, good family members, good citizens, or just good people, it is inevitable that we will find plenty of opportunities to apologize. Regardless of your situation, I am certain that you have already had an opportunity today to apologize to someone.

Since apologies are used so frequently, there is danger that through repetition they will begin to lose their meaning. This holds true for our apologies to both men and God (feel free to substitute "repenting" for "apologies" in the case of the latter.) A true apology requires a plan of action or change of course.

So my finvitation to you is that next time you are about to say "sorry" (and assuming you are NOT playing the board game sorry, which teaches principles contrary to those we have discussed above) consider how that apology is going to be accompanied by a change in yourself.

Just keep swimming friends,

Dan

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you made that crucial distinction between blogging about a mom and blogging like a mom.
    And as for all the non-swimming friends: lose 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would just like to add how absolutely amazing my mom is(this comment might be relevant because of the upcoming day we celebrate the women in our lives)...honestly..check that quote out just one more time and ask yourself.."would my mom say something like that?" NO! your mom simply isn't as cool as mine...I am not dissing on your mom...I would never do that, sure she is most likely just grand..but not quite as cool as mine. I think the reason for this is that my mom can be labeled as "Sharky"...and yours can't. If you are pondering on what to get your mom this Mothers day, how about a set of fins? Maybe a new set of teeth? Anything shark-like would help get just a bit closer to labeling your own dear sweet mother as "Sharky"...because in the end..who wouldn't want a mom as cool as mine?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Alex,
    I had also hoped you would appreciate the crucial distinction between a punch in the face, and a punch in the face by Alex Hale. People should know when they are being confronted with immediate death.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Dan,
    For about 1.4 seconds I thought the word "finvitation" in this post was a typo. Then, I laughed at its appropriate usage, in the same post where you appropriately harp on those who think "irregardless" is actually a word.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad talking up my own strength without any real demonstration or proof is being perpetuated via interwebs. Thanks Dan!
    *and don't let doubt of my punching strength accrue due to this observation. Everyone is better off that way.

    ReplyDelete