Friday

Strange

About a year ago, I thought I had put a couple very big parts of my life away for good. I was entering into a new phase of my life, turning over another leaf, changing the baby's diaper, letting bygones be bygones, etc. However, since about a year ago, about a year has gone by, and I don't have much to show for it. I'm still at BYU, I still have the same job, I still did the same thing this summer as I've done for years, and alas, no babies' diapers to change. Strange, this change, or lack thereof. Smooth is stranger than friction, it seems.

So, what the heck can I learn from this?: Sad is the journey only validated by milestones. The journey of 1,000 miles not only has a 1st step, but also a 749,531st step. Is that step going to suck? I'm not exactly sure how many steps it would take to walk 1,000 miles, but I'm pretty sure it would take more than that... assuming a 3-foot stride, of course. I'm sure one could do the math, but I'm not going to. Anyway, Life is not only about reaching goals, it's also about reaching; it's not only about winning races, it's about racing; it's not only about changing diapers, but filling them as well. From the right perspective, some pains can be pleasures. i.e.: work becomes working out, etc. You don't have to look to the future to find meaning when real Meaning can be found in simple, seemingly mundane, everyday activities. Life, the way it is right now, is worth living.

-Alex

4 comments:

  1. Its true! I met a meanie the other day while I was driving! Those blasted mundane activities always bring them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thank you for not using any fishing metaphors. I have such a hard time understanding them..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just as "Steve" turned his craziness with jelly beans into a heroic act...I too will turn my every day activities into heroic acts...(I hope I got the right message out of this post..)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your comment about 749,000 first steps...sometimes it feels that way. But the point is that we're trying to create forward motion. Finding joy and fulfillment in daily life is definitely a key to happiness.

    ReplyDelete