Friday

Independent Events

Some of you probably thought I had taken a hiatus from blogging in order to establish a more refined level of independence. Some of you are right! We will just never know which of you that is. But all of you are great!

I believe the following image to be as much a part of independence as salt in the ocean, the shaky weight and big biceps, charity and service, Chris and sportscenter, etc.


If you don't know how independence and this picture are interrelated, you have a long six months to wait before you have a dream of finding out. Perhaps you should try one of those independence refining vacations too.


Concerning independence, it really boils (for some reason fish despise this word) down to agency. We have been given the freedom to make choices as we desire. This reaches far beyond the choice to eat old fish sticks in your apartment rather than head home for a good meal. Now that we have been blessed with complete freedom to choose, the purpose of discipleship is to show that with complete independence in choice, we choose to demonstrate our dependence on God. Its irrefutable that we are dependent on him. We are. The end. El fin. Romeo and Juliet are dead...etc. From the good books, the word "nothingness" comes to mind. What we choose is to recognize our dependence and live accordingly. i.e. Being humble.


So don't let all that independence go to your head. Yes, stop living off your parents and show some backbone. (I actually detest backbones when I'm eating fish but I've never had that complaint about sharks.) Learn how to develop good strong relationships with your family where you play the role of a contributor to their well-being. But remember that you live by grace.

Your friend of refined independence,
Daniel

1 comment:

  1. You really helped the fact that “Romeo and Juliet are dead” sink-in for me. I don’t think I had ever really processed that, but now I think I can move on. Also, observing college kids act like they’re independent while their parents still pay their rent and tuition is almost as entertaining as it is obnoxious—a bunch of Romeos and Juliets, if you know what I meant.

    ReplyDelete